December 03, 2007

Infected


I feel like a train that flew off track
like a wedding procession in funeral black
or a gyroscope that's spun out of control
unbalanced by the things that make me whole


In a world where nothing makes a bit of sense
I'm certain only that I want to have no part in this
out of the ashes of war is born the phoenix
wings afire, now signaling the birth of empire


Our future isn't in our hands
we have to know our enemy to understand
They are like clouds that give no rain
who promise compassion, but bring on the pain



we see them leaving their trail, devoured their way
right into the heart they writhe, clever in their compromise
we gave them an inch and they took us for all we're worth
our souls afire, to join or to stand against the empire.

4 comments:

Joshua said...

young brother. are these song lyrics? which song?

young brother said...

Actually, this is a poem I wrote recently, while rewriting some of my past poetry. I might turn it into a song (I play acoustic guitar) but as of yet, that's all it is. The picture is of a tree near my house. What do you think?

Joshua said...

I like the poem. The rhyme structure works very well. I like the picture as well. When I was younger I always would imagine the random pattern of the veins had some sort of meaning, and that maybe we had simply forgotten what it meant. I like to carry that attitude.

-Josh

young brother said...

That attitude is the spirit of the Lord working in you. I know it, and have learned to trust and respect it. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem.